The Silent Ledger

 

A person enters this world carrying debts, spends a lifetime trying to repay them, and leaves it with some debts forever unpaid.

Debt came uninvited into my door,

A silent blessing wrapped in war;

Fate placed it gently in my hand,

To teach me how alone to stand.


It was not born of reckless pride,

Nor foolish dreams I chose to ride;

It was the cost of holding high

A life that would not bow or die.


The empty stomach owes no gold,

The idle heart no burden holds;

For those who carry none to feed,

No creditor records their need.


Then who is debtor, if not I-

Who begs for hope beneath the sky?

When desperate hands reach out for bread,

Fine words are left unsaid instead.


Philosophies fall faint and still,

Before the urgency of will;

For hunger speaks with louder breath

Than every polished truth on earth.


My wants are countless as the sand

That slips unnoticed through the hand;

Yet I know well, when all is done,

I'll leave this world with carrying none.


A handful of dust is all I'll be,

Where debts dissolve in memory;

The wealth I chased, the dues I paid,

Will vanish with my mortal shade.


Debt is not numbers inked on pages,

Nor chains that bind through passing ages;

It is the quiet price we pay

To keep our dignity each day.


For every soul begins in debt-

To love received, to tears once wept;

To mother's grace and father's pain,

To sun and soil, to wind and rain.


We live indebted, day by day,

Repaying life in our own way;

Some debts are paid with sweat and years,

Some only with remembered tears.


And when at last our breath is gone,

The ledger still will carry on;

For every human, great or small,

Leaves unpaid debts beyond them all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ungovernable Steed

The Lady Moon

The Witnessed Seat

My Emerald Song and Golden Bloom

The Day I Found Us Again

Orbits

Reflections of Bug Life

One Rain, One Rhythm

Moon and Seasons

Silted Channels of the Heart