Beneath the Ancestral Roof
I entered where the ancient corridors
Held dust and dusk in equal, solemn keep;
The house seemed built of centuries and stone,
And every silent chamber seemed asleep.
Yet by the hearth, where dying embers glowed,
A little figure stood beyond the flame;
She bore no terror of the grave or night,
But looked upon me quietly, as if by name.
Her eyes were deep as wells of vanished years,
Her face as pale as moonlight on the floor;
I knew not whether she was dream or shade,
Nor why my heart had known her long before.
I asked no question of her troubled eyes,
Nor sought to learn what kept her spirit there;
I sat beside the cold and ancient wall,
And let the silence breathe its secret air.
Then slowly came the tale she could not tell
In life, but carried through the years unseen:
Of greedy hands that measured blood and land,
And weighed a child against a family’s gain.
They spoke of lineage, inheritance, and name,
Of fields that must remain within the line;
And beneath such words, so grave and cold,
They buried mercy at the altar of design.
Her childhood ended not by fate alone,
But by the hand that should have sheltered her;
The flames consumed the laughter in her throat,
And left her like an ash beneath the star.
She spoke of prayers that never reached the dawn,
Of innocence extinguished without trial;
And I could not understand how human pride
Could make a child’s last breath seem worthwhile.
Then came a deeper silence in her tale-
Of lives that never reached the light of day,
Of unborn dreams whose first and only crime
Was being unwanted, or in someone’s way.
I thought of little hearts beneath the womb,
That beat unheard beneath a mother’s breast;
Who speaks for those whose voices never rise?
Who grants the unborn soul its right to rest?
And then I asked the darkness of the house,
“What law permits a hand to choose a breath?
What law makes wealth more sacred than a child,
And gives to mortal men the right of death?”
For what is foeticide but a silence
Imposed before a voice has learned to cry?
And what is infanticide but the same shadow,
Falling upon a child beneath the sky?
Two names, perhaps, for one enduring sin-
Two doors that open to a chamber of despair;
One closes on the child before its birth,
The other silences the child already there.
I searched the heavens for the ancient law,
The law that governs star and seed and sea;
But heaven gave no thunder for an answer,
Nor did the earth proclaim its mystery.
Yet still I felt that silence was not law,
Nor was the absence of a sign consent;
Perhaps the universe records its justice
In every memory that refuses to be spent.
I turned to her and spoke without a tear,
For grief alone could never set her free:
“You were not born to strengthen any house;
Your life was not a portion of their property.”
“You were a child before you were an heir,
A living soul before a name or claim;
No dynasty could make your life its own,
Nor turn your innocence to fuel for flame.”
She listened, and the sorrow in her eyes
Grew softer than the rain upon the leaves;
As though, after long years of being unseen,
A single human heart had made her grieve.
I told her, “You are more than what they took;
You are not merely ash, nor shade, nor pain.
The fire may have consumed your mortal breath,
But it shall not consume your name again.”
Then something changed within the ancient room-
The darkness loosened from the wooden stair;
And like a lamp that wakes before the dawn,
A tender radiance trembled through the air.
She smiled;the smile of one who once was young,
A smile that seemed forgotten by the years;
And for a moment, death appeared less dark,
As though forgiveness had replaced her tears.
She faded not like one condemned to night,
But like a mist dissolving into morn;
And in her place there remained only
The quiet truth of what should not be mourned.
I left the house beneath the evening sky,
Yet carried with me questions without end:
Can land be worth the life of one small child?
Can bloodline make injustice comprehend?
Can any custom sanctify a death?
Can wealth redeem the taking of a breath?
And if the universe has laws beyond our laws,
What name shall we give the law that honours death?
I know not where the ancient spirits dwell,
Nor whether stars remember what we do;
But I believe no life is born in vain,
And none has less of heaven than I or you.
So when the evening wind moves through those halls,
I do not hear the footsteps of the dead;
I hear a child’s forgotten laughter rise-
A gentle claim for all the words unsaid.
And if I meet her once again in dreams,
I shall not ask why she remained so long;
I shall remember only what she taught me:
No throne is greater than a child’s first song

Comments
Post a Comment