Rain and Love
Rain falls like curtains draped across the glass,
A quiet song for those inside to hear.
Love wakes like dawn above the morning grass,
A tender promise made without a fear.
For some, the rain is music on the pane,
A silver rhythm falling through the night.
For some, the roof gives way beneath the rain,
The road erased beneath a sudden tide.
For travelers walking out without a coat,
The gentle drop can sharpen like a blade.
And for the heart that trusts without a coat,
A sudden passion leaves the soul betrayed.
Perhaps the rain and love are much the same,
Entering softly like the evening shade,
Arriving with a spark of living flame,
Then leaving us alone within the cold.
They draw the blossom outward toward the light,
And teach the sleeping root to reach anew.
Yet frequently, before the buds ignite,
They drown the garden in a shaded blue.
To one, the storm is cadence on the roof;
To one, a ceiling giving way to night.
To one, sweet love is anchor, shield, and proof;
To one, a lantern fading out of sight.
The cruelest truth is written in the soil:
The water giving life can drown the seed.
The hearth that warms the worker after toil
Can burn the house and leave the heart in need.
Still, I can never hate the rain for rain,
Nor can I blame the open heart for love.
What grants us life may also bring us pain;
What makes us fear is what we dream above.
I know the spring that both have freely brought,
I felt the sudden warmth before the cold.
I watched a beauty beyond human thought
Become a story hard for hands to hold.
I hear the heavy clouds above my head,
And feel another storm within my chest.
I know the sound of rain upon the thread,
And then the silence when it comes to rest.
Rain falls. Love comes. The world begins to bloom,
Then rain turns flood, and promise turns to wound.
The garden bears the winter and the gloom,
And keeps its silence deep beneath the ground.
When both depart at last, the earth remains,
Unchanged to every eye that passes by.
Only the heart remembers all its pains,
Only the heart retains the reason why.
For that same rain that taught the stem to bloom
Was also rain that taught the branch to bend.
And that remains the truth of lovers' doom:
What gives us life can break us in the end.

Comments
Post a Comment