Dear Crococh, I am DONKEY

 


I am the donkey they call the People,

Carrying a nation like a mule carries a load.

Everyone climbs upon my back,

Then wonders why I travel such a crooked road.


I carry your leaders, one by one,

I carry your promises, every one.

You shout, “Give us our rights!” with pride,

I shout for rights like a trumpet in a parade,

But when duties arrive,

I disappear like a shadow in the shade!

“Sorry, I’m outside!” 


“Give me freedom!” I proudly cry,

But freedom without responsibility

Is like giving a child a matchbox 

and asking the house to stay dry.


You tell me, “Follow the law!”

I nod my head like a saint in prayer.

But when the traffic light turns red,

I look around-

“Is the policeman there?”

If the cop is watching,

I behave in an angel in a courtroom.

The moment he turns away,

I fly like a goat escaping a wedding feast! 


“Pay your taxes!” they tell me.

“Yes, yes! The nation needs my share!”


But when the tax bill arrives,

I become  invincible  magician-

my money disappears into thin air!


I demand perfect roads and bridghes ,

Hospitals, schools and light,

But paying my share?

“Why me? I'm poor,Ask my neighbour or rich !”


Oh, what a clever donkey I am! 

My demands are as big as an elephant,

My contribution as small as a mosquito. 


Public property belongs to everyone,

So naturally, I treat it like it belongs to no one!


I carve my name on the wall,

Scratch the bus and tear the seat,

I throw my garbage into the street.

Then I stand proudly and complain like a king:

“Why is this city so dirty?”

Even the street looks at me and says,

“Brother, you did that!” 

Oh, my hypocrisy is as flexible as rubber! 


I plant one little tree,

Take ten selfies beside it,

Post:“SAVE THE PLANET!”

The poor seedling waits for water

like a thirsty traveller waiting for a well.

The little tree whispers:

“Dear Friend ,give me some  water, please.”

I tell it:“Wait, my friend-

I have another selfie to edit!

My network is slow!” 


Then comes Election Day.

Ah! My favourite festival!

Suddenly I become important ,

everyone remembers me.

Leaders surround me

like bees around a flower.


They shake my hand.

They call me “My beloved People!”

Yesterday I was a donkey.

Today,I am KING!

They promise development

before tomorrow night!

except the moon-

because apparently the moon is already booked! 


“New roads!”

“New jobs!”

“Development!”

“Golden future!”

Their promises rise like fireworks in the night—

bright for a moment,

then gone with the smoke.


I clap.

I cheer.

I vote.

I believe.

Then five years pass

like a train that forgot to stop at my station.

I ask:

“Where is the road?”

“The file is moving.”

“Where is the job?”

“The committee is studying.”

“Where is the promise?”

“Please come back next election!”

And I stand there-


like a customer holding a receipt

for a meal that never arrived. 

But wait…


Why should I blame the rider alone?


Who sold the vote

for a little cash?


Who chose hatred

and called it patriotism?


Who voted for caste

and forgot humanity?


Who chose caste

like a football team?


Who chose hatred

like a favourite television show?


Who forwarded rumours

like a Telgram machine gun,

without checking whether they were true?


Who complains about corruption

but searches for a shortcut

when nobody is looking?


I point at the politician

with one finger-

and forget that three fingers point back at me.


The politician rides the donkey.

That is true.

But here is the painful truth:


THE DONKEY CHOOSES THE RIDER.


And that donkey-

is me.

So perhaps I must change.


I cannot demand clean streets

while throwing rubbish like confetti.


I cannot demand honest leaders

while selling my vote like a bargain product.


I cannot demand justice

while respecting it only when it benefits me.


I cannot demand freedom

while stepping on somebody else's freedom.


A democracy without responsible citizens

is like a car without brakes-

powerful, exciting…

and heading for a wall.


So, young friends,

listen to this old donkey.


Don't just ask:

“What will my country give me?”

Ask:

“What am I giving my country?”

Think before you vote.

Check before you forward.

Question before you believe.

Respect before you judge.

Participate before you complain.

And remember:

Democracy is not a five-year festival.

It is a daily responsibility.


For years I carried everyone

like a tired old donkey carrying sacks.

But now,I open my eyes.


I will not carry whoever jumps on my back.

I will choose the rider.

I will choose the road.

I will choose the direction.

And if the rider takes the wrong road-

I will stop.

Because I finally understand:

I am not merely an animal

carrying a nation.


I am the People.

I am the voter.

I am the citizen.

I am part of the democracy

I keep complaining about.


So don't laugh at the donkey.

Look in the mirror.

Because sometimes

the donkey is not the one being ridden.


Sometimes-

THE DONKEY IS THE ONE CHOOSING WHO RIDES.

And when the People finally wake up-

THE DONKEY TAKES THE WHEEL. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream on an Abacus

One Rain, One Rhythm

The Alappuzha Lighthouse Sings

Echoes of the Hunt

The Condom is the Conundrum(A Poem in Many Voices)

My Promise to You

A Painted Promise

My Unwavering Shore

The Halfway Mark