The Ledger of My Hearth

 


The Ledger of My Hearth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have learned that honesty is a treasure,

The root from which my home has grown,

The quiet place where I can measure

The life we’ve built, the seeds we’ve sown.

!!!

It is the vow I hold through weather,

The open heart, the trusting gaze,

The unseen thread that binds together

Our separate nights and shared-out days.

~~~

Yet I have found that love’s devotion

Is not in every word I say;

The tide of endless, raw emotion

Can wear a gentle bond away.

!!!

For when the floors and dishes call me,

When weary hands have carried on,

I hide the storms that rise within me

Until the sharper winds are gone.

~~~

I do not speak each passing sorrow,

Each tired thought, each moment’s ache;

For some small truths are best to borrow

The grace that kindness chooses to make.

!!!

I soften words and quiet anger,

I let the little battles cease;

Not from fear, nor from surrender,

But from my longing to keep peace.

~~~

For if I showed each hidden shadow,

Each restless thought my days have known,

The garden where our dreams once flowered

Might turn to dust and hardened stone.

!!!

The perfect love I once imagined,

The flawless souls I wished we’d be,

Are washed away by daily living,

By cups and clothes and tired routine.

~~~

So I forgive the faults unspoken,

And trust the wounds we both conceal;

For love is more than naked truth is-

It is the mercy that makes it real.

!!!

I keep this ledger of my hearthfire:

Not debts, but kindness we renew;

A thousand quiet acts of loving,

A thousand ways I choose you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lover Who Never Said It

Little Bird, Find Your Sky

My Crown, My Heritage, My Choice

The donkey met the soul of man

Fire and Sun

Banyan’s Lament

The Cart of Life: A Right to Death

The Realm of the Unknown

The Two Heroines

Songbird