I Was the One They Cast Away



I Was the One They Cast Away
******************************
When I entered that house,
my laughter scattered like pearls
from a broken golden thread.
*
They spoke of duty and sacred blood,
of promises smooth as polished silk,
and I believed I had found my home.
*
I gave them the spring of my youth,
I gave them the river of my sweat,
I gave them the altar of my soul.
*
I kept the hearth burning like a sun,
calmed every passing shadow,
and called my surrender devotion.
*
I did not know then
that some homes are built like mazes,
with iron bars hidden behind ivory walls.
*
Some doors open wide as a welcome,
only to lock like a tomb behind you;
some velvet robes conceal heavy chains.
*
I mistook stone walls for protection,
I mistook possession for love,
I mistook a quiet cage for belonging.
*
When my beauty began to fade,
when the season of my strength waned,
the warmth they promised vanished like mist.
*
Wealth and praise slipped away,
fine grain leaking through open fingers,
leaving only the cold floor beneath me.
*
No family value shielded my head,
no honor offered an outstretched hand.
I was pushed aside like a worn-out ledger.
*
Discarded when the ink ran dry,
I was turned out onto the open road-
a wanderer with nowhere left to lean.
*
Now I walk alone,
a shadow tracing a road of ashes,
staring into a desert without end.
*
Behind me-shattered mirrors of the past;
before me-a horizon raw and unshaded.
I stand between them like a bird with a broken wing.
*
Searching for a branch
strong enough to hold my weight,
strong enough not to break beneath me.
*
Even here, in the dust, eyes follow me-
cold as winter, sharp as vultures
circling silently upon the wind.
*
They do not see the weight of my sorrow;
they see only the softness of my weakness,
only the places where I might break.
*
A few coins glitter in a calloused palm,
like crumbs tossed before a starving bird.
A gentle word becomes a hidden snare.
*
A promised roof becomes a barbed hook,
and a stranger's smile becomes
another cage disguised as kindness.
*
Hands reach out across the dark,
not to lift a fallen spirit,
but to anchor it deeper in the mud.
*
They ask not if I am someone's daughter,
or a mother guarding
the last spark of light in her heart.
*
They measure only my desperation,
calculating how easily
a breaking heart can be bought.
*
Then I look at my child,
my little girl-
a fragile flame trembling in the gale.
*
She stands beside me like a wildflower
blooming through the cracks of a ruined earth,
too innocent to fear the gathering storm.
*
I pull her close
and ask the quiet sky,
“How shall I raise you upon this bare earth?”
*
How shall I shield your tender leaves
from the frost that waits outside,
from hands that gather what they did not sow?
*
Yet even in the dust, light is born.
A seed buried deep does not die;
it breaks the earth to find the sun.
*
My scars shall not be your heritage.
My tears shall not be the water
that feeds your roots.
*
I want a life for you
where love is not a ledger,
where shelter is not bought with silence.
*
Where a family's vow is an oak tree,
not a trap hidden beneath its shade,
and protection never demands your freedom.
*
May you grow untouched
by the winter of hunger,
unshaded by the dark clouds of fear.
*
May your voice rise like a morning song
that no silence can ever extinguish,
no darkness ever teach to whisper.
*
Let every wound I carry
end within my own flesh.
Let the world that broke me never learn your name.
*
Let my daughter grow into a woman
who knows her soul is an unmeasured sea-
too deep for any hand to own.
*
Never to be loved for a season,
never to be used when convenient,
never to be cast away when the harvest ends.
*
Let her know that true love
is an open sky,
a hand that helps her soar.
*
A sanctuary whose doors
turn on silent hinges-
always welcoming, always free,
*
never built with hidden chains,
never guarded by fear,
never locked by love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Box Crab :Are you

The Stillness of the Code

Tik-Tik at Twilight :An Ode to the Household Lizard

The Ferryman's Call: A Journey Through Life

Love - Midnight Echoes

The Smuggler

The Unbound Ring

She Carries the Sky

My Promise to You

Worlds Apart, Yet Yearning