Not Every Smile


 


Not every smile is a harbour of peace,

nor every curved lip a haven of love.

Some gleam like light upon polished steel,

a brilliant shield for the storm above.

***

They are sharpened slowly, like hidden blades,

forged in the dark of a quiet mind,

bending their edges with subtle grace

to veil the shadows that wait behind.

***

I do not fear the loud, hollow laugh;

for noise is the currency fools employ.

Wisdom walks softly through the dust of time,

while silence unmakes what words destroy.

***

And so I wait for another dawn,


when the mask you wear has fallen away,

arriving like morning over the hills,

where mercy, not pride, commands the day.

***

When your smile returns without its armour,

carrying mercy instead of pride,

and gentle grace outlives every victory,

with nothing left to defend or hide.

***

On that day my eyes will gather rain-

not for the sorrows we chose to keep,

but for the quiet relief of finding a man

no longer pretending it never weeps.

***

Yet nights still come when your laughter falls

like rain upon a barren town;

the clouds gather not to bless the earth,

but like a rising tide to pull me down.

***

And if I claim that no living soul

wears hatred's smile or desire's flame

with such delicate art as your gentle mouth,

your inner poet will whisper my name

***

and ask,

"Is the smile you offer me

not the very veil of sweet deceit?"

I shall not answer the quiet charge.

***

For every accusation is a mirror,

revealing the disguises we both have worn.

Silence needs no clever defence;

truth is often quiet where grace is born.

***

Only a prayer the wind may carry-

as seasons wither and memories fade,

as time rewrites each mortal name

and loosens the knots our lives have made.

***

May no smile surrender its sacred light,

nor forget the truth it longs to give.

May it shine like a star in the final dark,

and teach even death

how a soul should live.


Simple Like & Simple Smile  -your Fourlinegraphia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Trace Left

Beyond the Mirage

When I Cross the Divide

In Your Silence, I Reside

Dragonflies in the Rain

"Spectrum of a Human Life"

Rhythm of Fate -I -The Jailbird's Song-

Corridors of Shadows, Sparks of Hope

My Soul forge Chronicles