I Know Why I Had to Stand

 

I never wanted only a toy or a machine body,

Nor a touch or whisper that fades with night,

I wanted someone to see my pure soul,

And hold my heart with gentle light.

***

I wanted to be accepted,

And have someone help me find my way,

Not for beauty, youth, skin, or wealth,

But for the woman I am each day.

***

I wanted someone who would listen,

When words were difficult to say,

Someone who could read my silence,

And never simply walk away.

***

I wanted peace and love beside someone,

A place where I could just be me,

Where love would never feel like fear or trespass,

And where my heart could breathe free.

***

I wanted little acts of kindness,

A smile when I was feeling low,

A hand to hold me through the darkness,

A quiet “ I’m here dear ” to let me know.

***

I wanted trust without suspicion,

Respect without jealousy or blame,

A love that never made me smaller,

A home where love could stay the same.

***

I have known the weight of silence,

The wounds that no one else could see,

The pain of being slowly broken,

While pretending that I was free.

***

So if I chose to walk away,

Don't call my courage something cheap,

You never knew the nights I cried,

Or all the promises I couldn't keep.

***

And if someday I choose another,

Don't say I traded one for two,

Perhaps I simply found in someone,

What I had always needed from you.

***

I wasn't searching for another body,

I was searching for a place of calm,

Where I could live with self-respect,

And wake without regret each dawn.

***

I wanted love that felt like shelter,

Not chains disguised as romance,

A hand that never tried to own me,

But gave my wounded heart a chance.

***

So judge me if you must,

With words you think you understand,

But I know the road that brought me here,

And I know why I chose to stand.

***

I wanted more than passion,

More than moments lost in desire,

I wanted a love that gave me peace,

And never set my soul on fire.

***

Because I am more than someone's woman,

More than a body someone claims,

I am a heart, a mind, a life,

And I deserve to be loved the same.

***

I never wanted only sex,

I wanted to feel alive,

To be respected, heard, and cherished,

And finally have the space to thrive.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Smuggler

Mother Angel's Vigil

When Shadows Fall on Law and Justice

Do the Flower Gardens Know?

The Ferryman's Call: A Journey Through Life

The Quiet Collapse

The Stillness of the Code

Monsoon Bumper - Blessing

The Honeymoon Murder