I Keep Myself

 




I do not want you to love me,

Nor do I ask for you to see.

You need not follow where I walk,

Nor do I need you here with me.

***

You do not have to hear my song,

Nor welcome me along my way.

I ask for neither hand nor voice;

I have my own road now to take.

***

So go away, my fleeting love-

There is no illusion left to save.

What once seemed certain, time has changed;

What once held me need not remain.

***

For if love needs another's eyes

To tell me what my life should be,

Then love has crossed the line of love

And made a quiet slave of me.

***

Let my face shine among the stars

That keep their distance through the night.

Let mountain streams return my face

And carry it beyond my sight.

***

Let painted shadows mark my path,

Let forest branches speak my name.

When wild reeds sing my stories out,

I need not ask who hears the same.

***

The forest does not ask me why.

The river does not ask me stay.

The stars do not demand my heart

Before they give their quiet light away.

***

So let nature walk beside me,

And let my madness have its place.

I need no witness to be whole,

Nor anyone to name my grace.

***

And when the spring returns again,

And blossoms open without me,

No one shall claim that joy for me-

I will be there to see it be.

***

For life has taught me something strange:

What perishes may still be true.

Love can remain beyond its time,

Yet still be something I outgrew.

***

A lasting thing is not a chain.

A memory is not a command.

And permanence, however deep,

Does not give ownership of me.

***

I have learned to call it self-respect:

To put down burdens I once chose,

To leave behind what asks too much,

And keep the freedom that remains.

***

So do not burden me, false love.

I bear no hatred, owe no blame.

You were a part of what I was;

You do not have to be my name.

***

I will not bow to what once was,

Nor make a prison out of grace.

I will not lose myself to love

Simply because love leaves a trace.

***

Go, then, my fleeting love.

Take neither guilt nor victory.

What ends between us may remain-

But what remains belongs to me.

***

The stars may keep my borrowed light.

The streams may carry back my face.

The forests may remember me.

I need no one to give me place.

***

I choose the road that asks no oath.

I choose the silence that is free.

I choose the life that still is mine.

***

And above all-

I keep myself.

!**************************************!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Will Never Hide Me

The Unseen Current

The Unseen and the Unheard

In the Arms of Niḷa: A River’s Embrace

A Symphony of Thought

The Bucket

Fire and Sun

In My Heart, I Find the Divine

The Journey Toward the Light

When Shadows Fall on Law and Justice